"I can touch the sky. I am so tall." Susan Verde (image above by Peter H Reynolds)
Our children live in a hustle and bustle world these days...school, tests, homework, after school sports, lessons, and activities, video games, TV, social media. Trying to balance all of this plus learning how to create and foster friendships can be very stressful to our little ones. All too often this stress and pressure can lead to irritability, tantrums, disobedience, and other forms of emotional and physical distress.
I have found that practicing yoga with children helps them counteract these pressures. Yoga helps children tune in to their inner voice, develop self-health techniques, and promotes relaxation and peace.
Benefits of Yoga to Children
- Builds body awareness, confidence and self esteem
- Improves concentration and focus
- Develops calmness and relaxation
- Helps regulate emotions
- Improves balance, flexibility, strength and coordination
- Enhances imagination and creativity
- Teaches enjoyment of exercise in a non-competitive environment
Our Children's Yoga programs utilize age appropriate movement, storytelling, music, and art to engage the whole child. Woven into the classes are lessons in ecology, anatomy and physiology, nutrition, kindness, acceptance of self and others and the importance of self responsibly for actions and self care.